Does Smoking CBD Flower Have Benefits?
There are a variety of ways to consume cannabidiol (CBD), from tinctures to edibles. However, there’s one market of the CBD industry which isn’t too often discussed - smokables. Some people have opted to smoke high-CBD hemp flower through the following methods:
- CBD Cigarette
- CBD Joint
But does it really work?
The short answer is yes! Smoking cannabidiol will grant you the same effects as taking a drop of CBD oil or eating up a CBD gummy. However, smoking in itself might raise some red flags for some consumers considering the health hazards. Throughout this article, we’re going to discuss everything you need to know about smoking CBD.
What is CBD Flower?
To begin, it’s important to note you’re not necessarily smoking cannabidiol itself. CBD is a molecule found in the cannabis plant. The hemp plant is notable as it contains high levels of CBD and low levels of other cannabinoids, such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).¹ When we say “smoke CBD,” we’re really saying smoking hemp with high levels of CBD. CBD flower is simply the bud of a Cannabis Sativa (hemp) plant that is high in CBD. It differs from other CBD products as you get the benefits of all cannabinoids found in this flower.
You may have come across products (CBD oil, edibles, topical) that label themselves as whole-flower (or full-spectrum/whole-plant) CBD or CBD isolate.²
- Whole-Flower CBD makes use of all cannabinoids found within the CBD flower, whereas…
- CBD Isolate extracts cannabidiol itself and no other cannabinoid.
CBD smokables all contain whole-flower CBD and, with that, come with benefits you won’t find in isolate CBD products.
What are the Benefits of Smoking CBD?
When you smoke CBD, you’re not only receiving the benefits from cannabidiol. You’re also receiving benefits from a wide range of other cannabinoids. These cannabinoids include:³
- Cannabichromine (CBC) - is believed to help with pain relief, promote healthy bone growth, and inhibit cell growth.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) - takes up almost 50% of cannabinoids within the flower and is believed to have numerous health benefits - from relieving anxiety and pain to alleviating seizures and convulsions.
- Cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) - is believed to inhibit cancer cell growth and reduce inflammation.
- Cannabigerol (CBG) - is believed to help those with sleep problems and slow bacterial growth.
- Cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) - is believed to help alleviate chronic pain and reduce inflammation.
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC and Δ8-THC) - is believed to alleviate nausea, vomiting, and pain while stimulating the appetite. Note: this is the cannabinoid responsible for the psychoactive effects in marijuana.
- Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (Δ9-THCA) - is believed to aid in sleep and suppress muscle spasms.
- Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV) - is believed to alleviate convulsions and seizures and promote healthy bone growth.
Of course, cannabidiol in and of itself is believed to have the most health benefits when it comes to the spectrum of cannabinoids. However, it can’t be denied that receiving all cannabinoids attached to CBD hemp flower is most likely more beneficial in comparison to just CBD.
Still, it should be noted, CBD and other cannabinoids have been known to cause minor side effects in some individuals.
Can Smoking CBD Flower Help People Quitting Tobacco?
Unfortunately, as of this time, there is no conclusive evidence suggesting smoking CBD flower will help those trying to quit tobacco. Still, just because the evidence isn’t conclusive doesn’t mean it’s not promising.
In a study published by Addiction journal, two groups of cigarette smokers were given either CBD or a placebo. Those who received the CBD decreased their tobacco smoking by 40% while the placebo made no change.?
When you quit nicotine, you naturally go through withdrawals. This is the process of your brain and body learning to return to its natural state without the assistance of the chemical. This process is extremely uncomfortable and one of the main reasons people have so much trouble quitting.
Due to its therapeutic abilities, some researchers believe you can use CBD as a complementary treatment option for those looking to quit nicotine and other addictive substances.? Not to mention, smoking cannabidiol has the ability to replicate the cigarette smoking experience.
What is a CBD Joint and What is a CBD Pre-Roll?
The terms “joint” and “pre-roll” are often attached to the marijuana industry and, in effect, may turn off some people seeking out CBD. However, you can rest assure, a CBD joint or a CBD pre-roll will not get you high and is federally legal (as long as its THC content is less than 0.3%).
A CBD joint or pre-roll is simply the CBD hemp flower already rolled into a paper upon purchase, ready for you to smoke. It’s quite similar to a CBD cigarette, the only difference usually being the filter. A CBD joint or pre-roll might have an open filtration while a cigarette will probably have a cotton filter.
Where Can I Buy CBD Joints?
There are currently a number of places you can purchase CBD joints, pre-rolls, or cigarettes. And with more companies joining the CBD industry, these options are likely to expand.
Depending on where you live, you may be able to find these products in a store. For example, in states where recreational marijuana is legal, you might be able to walk into a dispensary and find CBD hemp flower smokables. The same can be said for states where medical marijuana is legal, however, you’ll need a medical marijuana card in order to enter.
In certain places like California and Colorado, some smoke shops (i.e. cigar, tobacco, or vape shops) might also carry CBD joints. However, this all depends on the smoke shop itself and whether or not they carry cannabis products. Here are some additional helpful resources.
If you can’t find any products in-person, you can always look online. Some of our favorite CBD joints include:
Pure Relief offers a wide variety of CBD hemp flower on its website as well as pre-rolls and other goodies. For more information, feel free to check out their products page.
- Tryplainjane is unique as it offers hemp cigarettes that look identical to a pack of tobacco cigarettes. However, their products range from CBD hemp flower to pre-rolled joints and more. If you’d like to see more, check out their products page.
- NCCIH: Marijuana and Cannabinoids
- Dialogues in clinical neuroscience: Cannabinoids in health and disease
- Dialogues in clinical neuroscience: Cannabis, cannabinoids, and health
- Addiction journal: Cannabidiol reverses attentional bias to cigarette cues in a human experimental model of tobacco withdrawal
- NIDA: The Biology and Potential Therapeutic Effects of Cannabidiol
Great article, thanks. In Italy we are starting to discover the beneficial effects of CBD. Good job guys! 2019-08-01 23:14:42