If you’re having a bad day – whether from mental stress or aches and pains – CBD bath bombs might help you find some middle ground. However, sorting through the waters to find the best CBD bath bombs requires a little buyer know-how. We handpicked the best of the best to make the choice easier for you.
Appearances can be deceiving, as is the case with CBD bath bombs. These hemp-enriched, colorful balls are everywhere and they each claim to melt away stress, pain, and inflammation. While the wide variety is great for us as consumers, it can also be quite overwhelming.
WHAT ARE CBD BATH BOMBS?
CBD bath bombs add another therapeutic layer to your favorite bath-time accessory. You can buy them online or make your own, but in general, CBD bath bombs are made by mixing cannabidiol (CBD) with baking soda, Epsom salt, coconut oil, essential oils, and artificial coloring for an aesthetically pleasing touch.
When you use a CBD bath bomb, the health benefits are practically overflowing!
While you may think bath bombs are all fun and games, according to research, taking a bath offers multiple health benefits – from balancing your hormones to moisturizing your skin to helping you breathe better. So, when you use a CBD bath bomb, the health benefits are practically overflowing!
Inside the Cannabis sativa plant is an array of anti-inflammatory and anti-stress compounds. Many of which have been used since the dawn of time to treat a variety of health conditions.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are two of the main cannabinoids you’ve probably heard about. However, the cannabis plant also contains:
- Flavonoids (pigmentation)
- Terpenes (aromatic property of cannabis)
- Other cannabinoids, such as cannabigerol (CBG) and cannabinol (CBN)
It’s worth mentioning that you can also use CBD bath salts or CBD soap to further cannabidiol’s soothing, therapeutic effects in the bathroom.
Potential Medical Benefits of CBD Bath Bombs
Researchers have already begun to explain how CBD differs from THC based on its non-psychoactive properties and natural ability to relieve pain and inflammation. CBD bath bombs and other bath products also have the potential to:
- Induce sleep – Studies support the use of CBD before bed for increased sleep duration. Soaking in CBD-infused waters could provide calming effects that help you stay asleep, especially if you suffer from insomnia.
- Alleviate anxiety – People with anxiety disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) may benefit from the anxiolytic role of CBD. Scientists mention the need for more clinical studies to explain how it works, but you may find that CBD bath bombs help you relax and overcome stress.
- Ease joint and muscle pain – Finally, people use CBD to treat pain related to arthritis-like symptoms and migraines. According to a survey about CBD use in America, this is the highest reported reason people use CBD.
Our Criteria for Selecting the Best CBD Bath Bombs
The road to CBD as a medication is paved in uncertainty since funding for clinical research is limited. On top of this obstacle, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) hasn’t yet provided guidelines to regulate the CBD market. For these reasons, you must be careful who you buy from as there are some CBD companies that unfortunately don’t care too much for their customers’ health. So, when it comes to choosing a CBD brand, we suggest you use criteria similar to the following. As we compiled this list of the top-ranking CBD bath bombs, this is how we rated each brand:
- Certificate of Analysis (CoA) – Most of the brands we selected offer buyers to access a certificate of analysis (CoA), an important feature to verify potency and safety. Some brands ranked higher based on how easy it was to find this information while others ranked lower if access to a CoA was only granted after purchase.
- Amount of CBD – Potency factored into ranking too, so brands with 50mg CBD and up received higher ratings than competitors with anything below 50mg. This is because the benefits of CBD in a bath bomb are different from smoking CBD. Bathwater dilutes CBD potency and, therefore, higher concentrations of CBD make it easier for your skin to absorb.
- Price Point and Essential Oils – Brands that sell single bath bombs below $10 ranked higher, including brands offering the option to buy variety packs. We also considered essential oils as a deciding factor. Those infused with lavender and eucalyptus won us over for their therapeutic effects on the mind and body, while brands with unique essential oil combinations ranked even higher for originality.
- Extract Type – CBD comes in a few different extract types depending on your preference: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate.
Safety and Side Effects of CBD Bath Bombs
Taking a bath with a CBD bath bomb poses little threat—except maybe the risk of slipping, but just watch your step. In fact, CBD has a better side effect profile than most medications. Some people have reported the following side effects from CBD, but as a bath bomb, it’s unlikely you’ll experience:
- Dry mouth
- Weight change