With cannabidiol (CBD) becoming mainstream, it’s being featured in just about any product you can think of. One of the most unique and potentially beneficial products are CBD suppositories. A suppository is a capsule that’s inserted into the body through the vaginal or rectal regions. They’ve been widely used in medicine for a long time and can help relieve symptoms of varying medical conditions, including menstrual cramps.
As companies continue to explore the medical potential and benefits of CBD, they’re also seeking innovative and effective ways of delivering it. Since suppositories are an efficient delivery method, they’ve attracted the attention of a few CBD companies.
Since the cannabis and CBD markets are unregulated, it can be difficult to determine where to buy the best CBD suppositories. For this reason, we’ve devised a list of the highest-quality CBD suppositories currently on the market. Each is made using all-natural ingredients and crafted to help with various medical conditions, such as vaginal dryness and infection.
What are CBD Suppositories?
CBD suppositories are alternative CBD products to traditional capsules and pills. Instead of taking them orally, you consume them through your rectum or vagina. Some believe that this delivery method allows CBD to enter the bloodstream quicker and in turn, provide stronger effects.
However, CBD suppositories are often taken to address specific health conditions related to the rectum and vaginal areas (see more below).
Like CBD capsules, a CBD suppository is made up of carrier oil (usually MCT coconut oil) and CBD which comes in one of three types of hemp extract. CBD extract types are as follows:
- Full-Spectrum – Makes use of all of hemp’s cannabinoids.
- Broad-Spectrum – Makes use of all of hemp’s cannabinoids except for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
- Isolate – Purely CBD and no other cannabinoid.
While each extract will have minor differences in effects, each will also give you a dose of concentrated CBD. If you’re interested in making the most of the hemp plant’s numerous cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes, we highly suggest going with a full-spectrum extract. However, if you’re concerned about THC or failing a drug test, then we suggest a broad-spectrum or isolate extract.
What are the Medical Benefits of CBD Suppositories?
When we consume CBD, it interacts with our endocannabinoid system (ECS). While researchers still are not 100% sure how this interaction takes place, it’s believed that CBD has the ability to balance out our ECS and keep it in a state of homeostasis. This is how we feel the number of medical benefits many claim CBD produces.
As a result, the way we consume CBD plays a major role in the effects we’ll feel. For example, CBD edibles tend to last a long period of time as they get processed through the liver. On the other hand, a CBD vape will provide us with almost instant effects as it’s absorbed into the bloodstream through the lungs.
When it comes to CBD suppositories, it’s believed they can help with specific issues pertaining to the vaginal and rectal areas. While there’s only so much research concerning these matters, many have self-reported CBD suppositories help with:
- Chron’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Lower back pain
- Menstrual pains (i.e. cramps)
- Vaginal dryness
If you aren’t struggling with one of these issues, it may be in your best interest to find an easier form of CBD consumption, such as CBD oils. However, if you are interested in taking a CBD capsule, but have difficulty swallowing pills, a CBD suppository presents a great alternative.
Are CBD Suppositories Safe?
Being as this industry is unregulated, it is natural to have concerns surrounding the safety of CBD suppositories. Since the FDA has not approved any form of CBD (except for Epidiolex), we recommend you follow the criteria we set out below when shopping for CBD suppositories. Using a set of criteria to evaluate your purchases will help ensure that you are purchasing a safe and high-quality product.
If you are currently on prescription medication, we suggest consulting your doctor before taking CBD suppositories. While rare, CBD has been found to negatively interact with certain medications.
Finally, if you are either pregnant or lactating, then you should NOT take CBD suppositories. Currently, there simply is not enough research to confirm whether it’s safe for women of this category to take CBD.
CBD Suppository Dosage Recommendation
The right CBD dosage for you will depend on several factors. If you are new to CBD, it may help to experiment and try other CBD products like a tincture or CBD creams before getting to using CBD suppositories. This will allow you to understand how CBD affects you and how much you need in order to meet your needs.
There are a few factors to keep in mind when determining your CBD dosage:
- Ailment – We all want to try CBD for a particular reason. That reason plays a major role in how much we should take. For example, a person experiencing chronic pain will likely need more CBD than someone experiencing mild pain.
- Body Weight – Just like other supplements, our body weight can influence how CBD will affect us. Typically, the more you weigh, the more CBD you will need in order to feel the desired effects. A guideline often referenced within this industry is to take 3mg of CBD for every 10 pounds (or 1mg for every kilogram) you weigh.
- Strength of Suppository – The potency of a CBD product is almost always measured out in milligrams (mg). The higher this number, the fewer servings of the product you’ll need in order to feel your target effects. For new users, you will want to start with a lower dose of CBD (5mg to 25mg).
- Tolerance – If you have been taking CBD for some time, your body has most likely become accustomed to it. For this reason, you will need to take more CBD in order to feel the initial effects.
When you first try CBD, you should start small and gradually increase your dose over time.
Our Criteria for Best CBD Suppositories
In order to ensure safety and quality in the products that we recommend, we set some requirements when it came to choosing the best CBD suppositories. These were as follows:
- Certificate of Analysis – Since the CBD industry is unregulated, reputable CBD companies will run their products through a third-party lab test. These tests will provide an unbiased report about various aspects of the CBD, including its cannabinoid/terpene profile and whether or not it contains contaminants, such as pesticides.
- Extract Type – If you’re new to CBD, it’s important to understand the different extract types as each will provide a slightly different experience. For more information, see above.
- Hemp Source – The majority of CBD on the market comes from the hemp plant. In order to ensure safety and quality, you will want to make sure a brand is transparent about its hemp source.
- Ingredients – You should always be aware of exactly what we’re putting into our bodies. By looking into the ingredient list of a CBD suppository, we can understand whether these products are good for our health and respect any dietary restrictions we may have.
- Potency – The potency of a CBD suppository is measured out in milligrams (mg). By understanding how many milligrams are in a single serving, you will have an idea of how these products will affect you.
Potential Side Effects of CBD Suppositories
One of the benefits of CBD is the fact that it comes with little to no side effects. Still, some users have reported mild bouts of:
- Appetite changes
- Dry mouth
However, it should be noted that there currently are not any studies as to whether CBD suppositories cause any unique side effects. This does not mean they are 100% safe. In the event you experience discomfort or any odd body reaction while taking them, you should immediately stop – and discuss your symptoms with a physician.