The CBD industry has seen many new products emerge and this is particularly true in the CBD edibles space. Consuming CBD edibles is currently one of the most popular methods to take CBD. As a result, CBD brands have been getting creative with their edibles – offering a variety of different foods and flavors never seen before. One of the most recent forms of edibles to make a name for itself are CBD lollipops.
These products may not appear to be anything special at first – it’s a lollipop infused with CBD, what more do you need to know? However, CBD lollipops do have some perks that other edibles cannot claim.
We’ve put together a list of the best CBD lollipops currently available from some of our favorite brands. We’ll review these products and explore what makes each brand and its CBD lollipops special.
What Makes CBD Lollipops So Special?
In many regards, CBD lollipops may just seem like another edible source of CBD. However, since you don’t eat a lollipop – rather, you suck on one – this allows for a higher degree of CBD bioavailability in comparison to other edibles.
Bioavailability is defined by how much of a substance your body takes in and absorbs. When you consume a CBD product, your body needs to process it by breaking it down and delivering it to the correct receptors. This is the step that allows your body to make use of cannabidiol. Throughout this process, your body will naturally lose some of the CBD you initially consumed. The higher the bioavailability achieved, the less CBD your body loses throughout processing.
CBD products with higher bioavailability will provide you with more CBD upon consumption. For example, vaping CBD is considered to offer the highest level of bioavailability among all CBD consumption methods. This is because the cannabinoids in the vapor can enter our bloodstream quickly and easily through the lungs. On the other hand, CBD topicals are considered to have the lowest bioavailability as CBD can have a hard time breaking through the layers of skin and entering the bloodstream.
CBD oils (sometimes referred to as tinctures) are one of the most popular CBD consumption methods. While they do not come in the highest levels of bioavailability, they do allow your body to take in a large concentration of CBD. For the most efficient use of the CBD tincture, you should leave the oil under your tongue for about 30 seconds – the longer the CBD is in your mouth, the higher bioavailability you’ll achieve.
With lollipops, you’re introducing the CBD through your mouth rather than digesting it. Thanks to the capillaries in and around your tongue, the CBD is absorbed into your bloodstream quickly – allowing you to achieve the high bioavailability CBD lollipops are known for.
Since most people will finish a lollipop off with a few bites, you also have the benefit of digesting some of the CBD where it will be processed in your liver. As a result, the combination of intake methods should mean that you are processing and retaining a higher amount of CBD than you would be from other edibles.
why are CBD Lollipops unique?
In addition to their high bioavailability, CBD lollipops have several attributes that make it a unique edible. This includes:
- Dosage – Since all CBD lollipops are individually dosed, you know exactly how much CBD you’re taking before consumption. This is quite beneficial for newcomers – especially since there are a lot of CBD lollipops sold with low dosages.
- Easy, Familiar Consumption – It’s safe to assume that everyone has had a lollipop at one point in their lives. Therefore, CBD lollipops provide one of the most familiar ways to consume CBD. This makes CBD lollipops perfect for newcomers who may not feel comfortable sticking a tincture dropper under their tongue.
- Taste – One of the biggest downsides to CBD oils is they do not all taste good. In fact, many consumers loathe the taste of tinctures so much, they seek out their dose of CBD solely through edibles. On the other hand, CBD lollipops can provide a variety of unique flavors and the same is true for CBD gummies. Furthermore, we were pleasantly surprised to find several CBD lollipop flavors that you’ll not find available in any other edible type!
If you wish to discreetly consume your CBD, a lollipop is also great for avoiding questions. While it’s unfortunate there remains some stigma surrounding cannabidiol and cannabis products, we understand not everyone is keen on getting relief from what has been considered a Schedule I substance. We also understand the anxiety some people may feel when they need a quick dose of CBD while in public. For these reasons, CBD lollipops are perfect for remaining discreet in your CBD consumption.
CBD Lollipop downside
While we believe that there are more pros to CBD lollipops than cons, we also cannot claim that these products are perfect. Even though we’ll be listing some cons below, some of these will depend on personal preference. As a result, not everyone will view each point as a con.
- Dosage – While it’s great to know exactly how much CBD you’re taking, you may not be a fan of the dosage amount that comes with each lollipop. So, if you want more CBD than your favorite lollipop has to offer, you would need to have two or more lollipops in one sitting. Or you’d need to take a different product with a higher amount of CBD alongside the lollipop.
- Health – Lollipops are filled with sugar and sweeteners and are not the healthiest way to consume CBD. If you’re health-conscious and trying to avoid some of these attributes, a CBD lollipop may not be for you.
- A Lollipop is Still an Edible – While we did highlight how much more bioavailability a CBD lollipop allows, the fact remains that they are still edibles. Generally, CBD ingested through an edible will take a longer time to kick in when compared to other consumption methods, such as CBD vaping products.
While these downsides are not major and, in our opinion, are far from deal-breakers, they should be considered when purchasing a CBD lollipop or deciding that this is the perfect CBD format.
Our Criteria for Best CBD Lollipops
When it came to choosing the best CBD lollipops on the market, we evaluated each product through a similar set of standards:
- Certificate of Analysis – It’s important to make sure that the CBD company you purchase from runs their products through a third-party lab test. This will provide you with an unbiased evaluation of various aspects of the CBD, including its purity and whether it contains contaminants, such as heavy metals.
- Extract Type – CBD can come in three different extract types with subtle differences between them. Understanding these and which best suits your needs is crucial for navigating this industry and getting the most out of CBD. CBD extraction types are as follows:
- Full-Spectrum – Contains CBD and all of hemp’s cannabinoids.
- Broad-Spectrum – Contains CBD and all of hemp’s cannabinoids except for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
- CBD Isolate – Purely CBD and none of hemp’s other cannabinoids.
- Hemp Source – Since most CBD products are developed from the cannabis plant known as hemp, it’s important to ensure the company purchases their CBD from ethical, organic farms.
- Ingredients – When it comes to CBD edibles, it’s important to understand what you are consuming, and particularly if you have dietary restrictions. Be sure to check that the brand you purchase from clearly lists the ingredients used in their CBD products and that these ingredients are high-quality and all-natural.
- Potency – CBD potency is measured in milligrams (mg). Simply put, the higher this number, the more CBD is in a product. We highly suggest you do a bit of research into CBD dosing and how much you should take to get an idea of the right milligram count for you.
Safety and Side Effects of CBD Lollipops
CBD is highly regarded as a safe substance to consume with little to no side effects. When it comes to choosing CBD lollipops, consumers should keep in mind whether they have any dietary restrictions or allergies. Especially if these restrictions are correlated to sugar – CBD lollipops are made very similarly to standard lollipops only with an infused CBD extract.
Beyond this, some users have reported feeling mild side effects from CBD products in general. These side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Reduced appetite
If you are currently on prescription medication, we suggest speaking to your doctor about taking CBD. While it is rare, some medications have been known to negatively interact with CBD.
Furthermore, if you are pregnant or lactating, we recommend that you do not consume CBD products. Research around pregnancy and CBD is limited and the safety of consuming CBD remains unclear. Therefore, it may be wiser to avoid taking CBD altogether if you are expecting.